The Consumer Contract Regulations state that a customer who wishes to buy a vehicle “at a distance” has the right to receive clear information from the dealer.
This must include:
- The dealership's name and address
- An accurate description of the vehicle
- Price – including any taxes and delivery costs – and how long the price quoted is valid
- Delivery arrangements and terms
- Payments – how and when
- Cancellation – the customer's right to cancel the arrangement
- Liability – for delivery, collection and condition
Further information on general cancellation rights is provided in the module on Post-contract information and rights.
The Consumer Contracts Regulations also state what information should be sent to the customer after the sale (but before the vehicle is delivered). This includes:
- Written confirmation of the order (by letter, email or fax) including the pre-purchase information if this hasn't already been provided.
- Written information about how to cancel the arrangement, a postal address and details of any guarantees, warranties or after-sales services, if applicable.